Saturday, May 16, 2009

Our Big Date

I have every intention of being a dad who takes his daughter out on dates. You know- hold doors open for her, buy her favorite type of ice cream, go to Red Sox games. Basically treat her so well that every other guy will look like a scumbag and she won't want to date them.

I didn't necessarily intend to go on dates when Mary's just a few weeks old, but we ran out of coffee at home. Thus, Mary and I went on our first date, to Panera.

First, after feeding her, I picked out her outfit and dressed her all by myself.


Now, I'm not entirely sure if a blue shirt goes with pink pants. Originally I had picked out a pair of jeans for her, but after I put this blue onesie on her I realized the jeans were too big. Since putting a onesie on Mary is quite an ordeal for me, I wasn't about to undress her and go through the painful task of redressing her. I had to choose between these pants and a brown pair with a pink bow on it. For some reason I thought the pink bow wouldn't go with the blue shirt. Yet, in my weird mind, pink pants were better than the little pink ribbon? Sigh.

Lesson learned: don't try to be someone you're not. When I'm dressing Mary, I'll have to do it on my terms. Ease + comfort always override good fashion.

After this adventure, I loaded her into the stroller and walked to Panera. She was an angel. I got to read my Bible and some of Tim Keller's book, The Prodigal God (good book, by the way), and drink far too much coffee. She didn't fall asleep ever; she just relaxed and enjoyed her surroundings.


And after all the fun, we beat the rain clouds home and Mary was wiped out from her big day. Apparently watching Daddy ingest unhealthy amounts of caffeine was a little too much for one morning.

1 comment:

Bruce and Morgan said...

Danny, I'm so proud of you..you're such a good dad. I think you did a great job with the outfit..it works because the little pink flowers match the pants. But I've never had a girl so I don't know how all that stuff works with girls. One day, I hope...then I can take fashion lessons from you! Morgan