Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mi Madre...

My mom and Granny at our wedding.

I've been on an untintentional blogging hiatus for a while, mainly because Lisa got a new fancy camera and I can't figure out how to work it. Lisa got to post on Mother's Day in honor of her mom, but today's my chance (I actually tried yesterday, but for some reasons pictures wouldn't post).



My mom with 1-day old Luke.

There are a number of things I appreciate about my mother, but I'll make it short, sweet and to the point.



  • My mother disciplined me: as a parent now I appreciate this more than ever. Children will not discipline themselves, someone needs to train them in righteousness. My mom did this as well as anyone.


  • She reared 6 kids: I watched both kids yesterday in the morning while Lisa got some quality time with the Boston Harbor. By 2pm I was ready for a nap. 6 kids!


  • Humility: as I said, my mom successfully reared 6 kids, yet remains humble about. If it were me, I'd be looking for a publisher for my best selling parenting book. No such arrogance from Pat Pierce.

My mom and Mary when Mary was born.



  • Supportive grandparenting: she supports Lisa and me in our parenting endeavours. She may think we're crazy for doing certain things, but she doesn't let on. When asked, she advises and is never pushy.


  • Generosity: my family has never had a lot of money; 6 kids (and some big appetites) generally keep you from swimming in cash. Yet, my parents have never withheld from us.


  • Sacrifice: all parents sacrifice, and my mom could write a book on this. As we prepare to move to the other side of the world, we can see how this sacrifice is being lived out. She will miss out on a number of memories with Mary and Luke. But she gives up her "rights" to the Lord. What a wonderful example for the rest of us.

I could write a whole lot more, but I'll end there. Lisa and I both appreciate our mothers so much; a couple blog posts can't possibly convey that fact. But know we love you both!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I appreciate your Mommy too!! She's awesome :)

Also, the kids are super adorable!

-Sarah