Wednesday, November 7, 2012

the rat bite!!!

danny was gone for a week and got home yesterday.  reunited and it feels so good.... 



it started off not being the easiest of weeks, but nothing that i couldn't get over... fear from robbery down the street, no electricity one night, luke screaming from his terrible heat rash, my rough stomach issues for three days.  it was okay though.  we were making it.  :)

BUT, then saturday came... i saw a rat in our kitchen.  gross.  it went behind the fridge.  i set a trap that night and went to bed.  the next morning mary woke up and told me she had a boo-boo.  it was tiny so i didn't think anything of it... until i went into her room and saw blood all over her blanket, sheets and pillow.  what happened!?  then, i look down and there is rat poop all over the ground!  i gasped and freaked out (obviously).  my three year old little girl got bit by a rat in her bed!  i called our beloved doctor friend immediately to see if i needed to do something.  she assured me that it was okay.  mary has not made the connection with the blood and the fact that we left our house for three days because we were waiting for the a little mousey (i soften the wording) to leave our house.  :)  and i don't plan on telling her she was bit.


i didn't know what to do.  i felt alone, worn out, wanting danny and unable to do this without him for another 3 days.  these are the moments when culture shock hits me.  in general, i love indonesia and we have had a very smooth transition here.  but, when something difficult happens i just want the comforts of america, particularly the family and friends that know me so well.  i got the kids in the car and started driving around the city crying.  i didn't know what to do.  i prayed out to God for mercy, for comfort, to have the fruit of the Spirit that i need to love my kids well.  as i write it the emotions sound like overkill, but at the time i felt defeated and didn't see myself coming out of it.  i didn't want to go back into our house, i couldn't protect my kids there... and let's be honest, i'm terrified of rats.  i hate them!!!

a friend graciously invited us over for lunch and watch my kids for the afternoon while i came and set rat traps everywhere.  i packed up our stuff and we stayed at friend's vacant house until danny got back.  i was so thankful for that house!  it was peaceful and clean and i didn't fear rats.  that night at church we worshipped and it was sweet.  God's love for me, His knowledge of my exact situation, the victory that we have in the cross.  you may be thinking, victory over rats... really!?!   yeah, you'd want victory over them too if your daughter just got bit by one.

we made it through the time danny was gone but i wouldn't say it was a victory.  i was impatient, worn out,  and less than kind to my kids.  i'm not a yeller, but i have a terrible annoyed and disappointed tone that i use, that i HATE.  tuesday i was able to get an hour out of the house by myself.  i read 1 john 1:9-- if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness...  but if we do sin, we have an advocate with the Father-- Jesus Christ, who is the atoning sacrifice for our sins.  i was in tears in the loud, smokey, indonesian coffee shop.  God is so faithful.  faithful to forgive me and love me.  we have such a certain hope in God.


so, whatever happened to the rats in our house?  well, we caught SEVEN that weekend, mostly in the backyard, but i'm sure they would have made their way in.  and now we're borrowing a friend's cat for a while to make sure the rats don't take residence again.  i'm a little skittish now... i may freak out at every sound but i'll get over it.  :)

no, we did not plan on making that same face.  we're just perfect for each other.  :)


**a special thanks to emily for taking us in for the day and making pumpkin muffins to make me feel better; to mike who searched mary's room, brought the glue-traps with rats stuck on them outside (i couldn't do it!) and gave us their cat for a few days; to joann for allowing us to stay at their company's house and having us over for dinner.  community is a gift from God.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Just so you know, I DO think that rats in your home, biting your children is a BIG deal. I would have cried with frustration, too. So, you're not a wimp or whatever.

hunnifordd@gmail.com said...

I would have cried without kids in the house!!! You are a great mom - we all have our days and rarely do they involve rats!

Luke said...

I caught a rat in a trap in our garage and I called Alex from work to come get it out. He was still alive and he was freaking me out with his yelping and whatnot. Our wussyness must run in the family. So glad Danny is back and your doing better. I love you guys!!!

Ayuna said...

Oh, Lisa! I'm amazed at how well you dealt with the situation like this! (You should have seen me when our girls were bitten by mosquitos when we lived in Asia. It was not a pretty picture!) I'm so encouraged to hear that you find comfort and strength in Him!

Neave said...

Ok, I am so grateful for your honesty, Lisa. You encourage me beyond words... just to know there is someone else dealing with the issues I deal with (emotional issues, not specifically rat-related issues) =) Love you, friend! Love that last photo, too!

Sarah said...

That is so scary! I'm glad you and the kids are okay! Ick ick ick!