Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mary & the Beard: Charting Mary's Growth

Lisa went into labor on Tuesday, April 14, early in the morning. After waking up, I went into the bathroom and trimmed my beard, knowing that there'd be an onslaught of pictures taken over the coming days. Not being a naturally photogenic person, I figured I ought to give myself a fighting chance to look halfway decent.

Anyway, it's been fascinating to chart Mary's growth alongside the growth of my beard, no doubt worthy of scientific analysis. Here's a photo essay:

For the father of a newborn, it's important to associate your beard with an enjoyable activity for your child, such as feeding. This introduces a comfort level with your facial hair that can only bring about positive feelings between your baby and your beard. In this picture, Mary is only a couple days old and was probably down to about 8lbs (she was born at 8lbs 13oz, but lost a good amount of weight in the first few days), and my beard is still nice and trim.


Here is a picture of Mary getting some quality time with my beard a couple weeks later. At this point, Mary was just passing 9.5 lbs. Also around this time my beard and I began looking at listings for a shack in the mountains of Montana. You know, just planning ahead.


On Mary's one month birthday, she weighed in at 10 lbs 7.7 oz and 22.5 inches long. Quite a milestone for her. As for me, my beard has been officially categorized as Substantial and is well on it's way to Unruly. Here's a photo of Mary and my beard taking a nap together.

1 comment:

Neave said...

All I have to say is... Wow. (in a good way) Props for most original blogpost about a father and his child.
Okay, that's not really all, cause I wanted to comment that those close-ups of Mary a few blogs back were so precious. She defo looks like momma!
-pam