Tuesday, July 15, 2014

my birthday highlights...

today was my birthday and i'm going to bed thankful.  here are a few of the highlights i don't want to forget...


danny surprised me and bought me a sewing machine!  (mine broke in transport to indonesia 3 years ago)   it was out of the ordinary, thoughtful and very unexpected.  thank you danny!  i love it!  i can't wait to make matching bow ties for you and lukey.  ;)



i dropped the kids off for their first day of school.  i know i'm biased, but i just think they are so cute all ready for school!  luke was a screaming mess when i left him but they assured me it was momentary. :) so thankful for all bright school… we really love it!  and, i just can't get over luke in that uniform.  




 then i made dinner and my birthday cake… you kind of have to have a birthday cake if you have kids that want to celebrate you and baking a cake is a bit above danny's culinary skills.  so, i baked my own.  :)  and these littles played in mary's room together for over 2 hours with no fighting… something is happening in their little friendship and it's beautiful.  it's a gift to me.  and they were happy to be called to the kitchen to lick the icing beaters.  




somewhere in between making the cake (and being in the kitchen for far too many hours!) and going on a walk, i had a low moment.  overwhelmed, tired of working my tail off at home and wanting to be in america with friends and family.  i went in my room, cried out to God and told him how i really felt.  then, i repented of my self pity and lack of belief in God's goodness towards me…. and he met me with his kindness and mercy.  i had the strength and joy i needed to keep pressing on.  so thankful that i have a Savior who is so there for me, even in the day to day moments.  

we went on a walk around my neighborhood and found the performing monkey.  at the end he grabbed his "prayer mat" and did the forms of muslim prayer.  a trick i hadn't seen before!  :)

mary wanted to buy me a movie for my birthday… it's the first time she's chosen a present for me.  luke spoiled the surprise today and she cried.  but, danny assured her that i didn't know which movie they were getting so it would still be a surprise.  apparently in the store she said, "i know daddy!  mommy probably thinks we're going to get a kid movie but let's surprise her and get a movie for just you and her to watch together."  sometimes i can't get over how sweet she is.  

the movie was accompanied by this beauty from danny.  :)  get it?  i'm 33.  33 is larry bird's number.  danny has been really excited to celebrate this birthday!  he was so impressed with his craft.  it was cute.  

the kids drew on the inside.  mary drew her and i in matchy-matchy dresses on a walk together.  luke drew a big black bean.  he was excited to tell me about it too!  hilarious.



lastly, we brought cake and ice cream to our friend's house and sang/ate the cake together.  this is the best picture i got.  :)  they eat outside on a mat every night so we joined them.  we ate cake, the kids played on the street and the parents chatted (about half of which i didn't understand because they use their people group language, not indonesian).  though i couldn't draw up people much more different than us, they have welcomed us into their family and make us feel almost normal here.  we're not "special" anymore, we're just normal friends and i love that.  


thanks for making my day special, danny.  

2 comments:

Emily said...

You're the best. I am glad you had such a sweet day... you're so faithful to His call. Sorry you couldn't spend with more friends and family, but it seems the day was just as special. Love you!!

Carroll said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa! You are such an inspiration.