Sunday, June 29, 2014

find another home, rats

thursday night: talking to hayley on the phone late at night (she's in america) and i hear rat noises in my kitchen for about 30 minutes.  i'm too afraid to go in (it has a closed door to the rest of our house) but it sounded stuck in something.  i'll let danny investigate in the morning.

friday morning: see rat poop in our tupperware drawer.  having friends over that night, don't have the time/energy to cook and clean/sanitize every piece of tupperware i have so i just don't use tupperware that day.  put rat trap in cabinet under sink and will clean tomorrow.

friday night: i'm telling my friends the story of the rat poop and where i think it could be coming in (from a broken tile under our sink along the water pipe)… open the door to show them the broken tile and we got him!  there he is stuck on the glue trap we put out earlier.  danny later throws him away.  sick.

saturday morning: i'm so excited about a day of relaxing, not cooking (have i mentioned it takes 3 times as long to cook here!), not being in the kitchen… plans to go out to dinner that night.  open spoon drawer at breakfast and notice it's all dirty.  upon further investigation, we find a rat had chewed the sides of some of our drawers and gotten into ALL of them.  they were all dirty.  my day's plan as just been utterly shattered.  


i take everything out of the each drawer, wash it all, soak it in bleach water and then let it air dry all over my counter.  this takes hours.  in the middle of this drama i decide to start washing all of the hand towels that were clearly contaminated by the rat.  i picked one up to throw it in the washer and out drops a BABY RAT!!!  like, just out of the womb eyes aren't open yet.  i flip out, obviously!!  i realize that the rat that had gone through all of our drawers had babies… and i think the 30 minutes of squealing two nights before may have been labor noises.  maybe.  and then i long for the day of Jesus' return because certainly rats are a product of the fall and Jesus would not allow them in heaven… right?!?!  :)  lord help me if those baby rats were in my drawer for an entire day without me knowing.  

i take the entire drawer outside to dump it in the street while danny stands guard with a stick ready to kill the mom if she tries to get out of the open drawer hole.  my neighbors are out and are dying laughing at me because i'm clearly a bit squeamish over the matter!  luckily, my neighbor called over a security guard (kind of a jack of all trades here) to lift up the towels one by one to make sure the baby rats are out.  there were FOUR!  sick.  **as i type this i hear the rats having a party in our back area.  we hear them almost every night.  they are just everywhere here**

everything is clean by late afternoon but we know there is still a mom in there so we leave the drawers empty and dirty.  we put out traps under the sink again and put a brick over the cracked tile so no others can come in or out.  we heard him on and off throughout the night, knocking the mostly empty paint cans around… one of which was paint thinner.  

sunday morning: woke up and checked the traps.  got it!  except she was on the trap by just her back legs and was soaked in paint thinner.  we think the paint thinner was lessing the strength of the glue trap so she was sliding off.  danny asked me to hold the plastic bag while he picks on the trap/rat to throw her in the bag.  i can hardly do it and the rat is just hanging on by one leg.  sick. sick. sick.  rat is in bag, danny kills it with a brick and throws it away.

current:  traps are out again tonight.  praying there are no more.  tomorrow i will start operation clean and sanitize drawers.  and then we will have our kitchen back in order… until the next creature comes.  :)

so this sounds odd and unrelated, but i felt the presence of God all day as i cleaned.  i have a history of these types of situations almost putting me over the edge… being in the kitchen all day cleaning something that really shouldn't be happening (bugs, mold, ants, etc).  i tend to get short, irritated and looking for all that danny/my kids are doing wrong that day.  i can be nasty.  thankful that Jesus forgives me.  

yesterday was a day of victory for me.  i put on worship music and chose a good attitude.  danny and i laughed a lot, like where is the hidden camera, can this be real life!?!?  danny was so sweet and helpful… helping with kids, rat disposal, laundry, checking in on me and constantly telling me how thankful he was for all of my hard work.  i was peaceful, my mind wasn't brewing angry or irritated thoughts, i even prayed and worshipped a bit.  it was a major victory for me.  i don't say this to boast… i celebrate this victory because i so often fail with my attitude.    it was almost weird how peaceful i was.  God was so near and kind.  i went for a run that afternoon and talked to God… wondering if He was sure i could handle all of this.  God always gently reminds me of his nearness, his kindness.  it was a beautiful afternoon and i loved my neighborhood at that moment.  i was thankful we get to live where we do.

i'll be happy if i don't have to deal with another rat infestation in my drawers ever again in my life!!!  but, i will say I'm thankful for this small victory in my own heart.  i'm thankful that in the midst of a pretty frustrating, terrible situation God made himself so evident and known to me.  i'm thankful i had a friend in God that day.  and i'm thankful that there will be no rats in heaven!  

**i almost took photos of the baby rats and the mama dangling from the trap but i couldn't keep my body from jerky and squealing long enough!  and, i'm sure none of you want to see them anyways.  trust me, you don't.

No comments: